Posting Date: 8/15/2019
The South Brunswick Public Library is looking for a creative, enthusiastic, self-motivated part-time librarian to work under the direction of the Supervising Teen Librarian. The ideal candidate will help develop and implement quality teen programming and assist with collection development. In addition, this individual will be required to perform a variety of professional duties as needed, including Readers’ Advisory for teens.
Hours will include Sundays from 12:30-5 p.m. and one evening (6 p.m. to 9 p.m.) every other week. Additional hours will be required with advanced notice to assist with large teen programs so some flexibility is a must.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Coordinate and implement teen programs under the direction of the Supervising Teen Librarian
- Provide Reader’s Advisory services and prepare Reader’s Advisory tools
- Maintain collection of YA material through weeding and purchasing recommendations
- Provide reference assistance
- Staff the Young Adult Room
- Advise and assist library users in the use of the library services and tools
- Advise and assist in the supervision and training of large number of teen volunteers
- Positive, pro-active attitude, and ability to provide outstanding customer service
- MLIS or equivalent from an ALA accredited institution and NJ Public Library Certification or enrollment in a graduate level program from an ALA accredited institution
- General knowledge of Young Adult literature
- Some experiences with YA programming preferred
- Willingness to work flexible hours to assist with YA library programs
- Ability/Willingness to develop a good rapport with teens to identify their needs and interests
- Speak, write, and communicate in English effectively
- Weekend and evening hours required
- Knowledge of SIRSI/Workflows a plus
Starting salary for Librarian is $28.57/hour
The application can be picked up at the Borrower Services Desk or can be downloaded here.
Job deadline: Until Position is Filled
South Brunswick and the South Brunswick Public Library are Equal Opportunity Employers.