Technical and Borrower Services Departments Part-time/14.25 hr/week position
Posting Date: 8/15/2019
The South Brunswick Public Library is seeking a self-motivated, detail-oriented person to work in our Borrower Services and Technical Services Departments. The ideal candidate should be equally comfortable providing assistance to our patrons at the Borrower Services Desk as working behind the scenes processing library material in our Technical Services Department. Must possess strong customer service, communication, and computer skills and be able to work independently.
Hours will include one night a week and one weekend day with additional hours to be determined. Starting salary is $15.77/hour.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Check material in/out, renew items, pay fines, issue new library cards, and troubleshoot patron problems both in person and over the phone.
- Promote library programs and material through customer interaction.
- Process library materials in a timely manner by linking material into the computer while labeling and stamping where needed.
- Assist customers with use of self-checkout, copier, and other library equipment.
- Withdraw library material no longer needed in the collection or lost/damaged items.
- Work on special projects as assigned.
- Speak, write, and communicate effectively in English.
- Provide friendly, high quality service to library customers.
- Maintain effective working relationship with both the public and colleagues.
- Perform basic math functions, including working with the cash register to give change.
- Learn the library’s automated circulation system, policies, and procedures.
- Bend, reach and lift up to 25 lbs to perform the physical tasks at the library, including, but not limited to, emptying bins, packaging books, and handling donations. Must also be able to push a cart full of library material.
- Adapt to changing computer technology.
- Work a flexible schedule. This position will likely include alternating Saturday afternoons and alternate Wednesday or Thursday nights in addition to hours in Technical Services.
- High school graduate minimum, some college preferred.
- Library background or related customer service preferred.
- Basic computer literacy; including email, search engines, and basic window functions.
- Strong keyboarding/typing skills.
Starting salary is $15.77/hour
The application can be picked up at the Borrower Services Desk or can be downloaded here.
Job deadline: Friday, February 28th or until position is filled
South Brunswick and the South Brunswick Public Library are Equal Opportunity Employers.