We appreciate your interest in the South Brunswick Public Library. Below you will find a list of jobs we are currently looking to fill.
Adult ESL Teachers / Adjunct positions (grant-funded)
Posting Date: 10/23/2018
The South Brunswick Public Library is seeking instructors to teach differentiated levels of high-quality ESL classes for adults at our library as part of an adult literacy grant funded through the NJ Department of Labor. Teachers are needed for daytime, weekend, and evening sections.
Ideal candidates, under the direction of the program coordinator, will be experienced and engaging teachers of English that will work with students to improve their English-language proficiency and enhance long-term outcomes, including career pathways.
Plans and provides appropriate instruction. Monitors and assesses student progress with teacher developed and state approved measurement instruments. Maintains student records and reports progress to program coordinator.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Teaching ESL classes for adults focused on reading, writing, and speaking.
- Taking and maintaining accurate student attendance records.
- Preparing classroom materials / lesson plans according to the established curriculum and adapting materials where needed.
- Engaging in occasional observation/feedback sessions with project coordinator and representatives from the NJ Department of Labor.
- Assessing students mid-and post-instruction, and providing feedback on student advancement.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience working as a second-language instructor (adult teaching experience preferred).
- An understanding of practical second-language acquisition theory.
- An understanding of English grammar structures.
- Positive attitude and ability to provide dynamic, effective, and engaging lessons.
- Speak, write, and communicate in English effectively.
- Must be able to successfully pass a background check.
Compensation: $3,200 per section (sections are 64 instructional hours). Successful candidates will have the opportunity to teach multiple sections.
Part-Time CDL Class B Driver / Customer Service for Bookmobile
Saturdays 9 AM – 5 PM – Local Route
Flexible Availability for Substitute Work a Plus
Posting Date: 11/7/2018
The Bookmobile Driver/Outreach Assistant reports to the Head of Outreach Services and drives the Bookmobile bringing library materials to scheduled locations around the community. Must have a Class B CDL to drive a vehicle with air-brakes and the ability to safely operate and maneuver a large vehicle. Performs basic library procedures and assists with collection management, homebound delivery services and other Outreach Services as required.
Represents the library in the community and independently drive and operate the Bookmobile and other Outreach vehicles with extensive customer service duties. Safely drive the Bookmobile and other Outreach vehicles to specified locations on a predetermined schedule. Perform basic library borrowing services according to library procedure including checking out and checking in materials, creating new patron accounts, collecting fines and fees as appropriate, shelving materials and managing reserved materials and delivery both within and outside the library. Assist with collection development and management including weeding old materials and shifting material between the library, outreach collections and the vehicle(s). Keep the interior and exterior of the Outreach Service vehicles clean and orderly, including snow removal. Maintain the vehicles in good working order by performing daily inspections, reporting mechanical or safety issues, scheduling regular maintenance and repairs and refueling the vehicle on a regular basis. Assist with delivery of materials throughout the township including deposit collections, remote borrowing locations and door-to-door for individual homebound patrons. Perform other duties as required.
Ability to operate Outreach Services vehicles and standard office equipment including a computer (with Microsoft Office software), telephone, fax machine, copy machine and other equipment as may be needed and trained for such as a barcode reader and a receipt printer. Will be trained to use library catalog software.
- Must possess a Class B CDL which allows for operation of air brakes and have a three year clean driving record
- High School diploma or GED equivalent; some college preferred
- Must be physically and mentally capable of performing job tasks
- Must be and remain drug and other substance free (continuing random screenings are performed)
- Must successfully pass a six-month probation period
- Library background or related customer service experience preferred
- Lift, push or pull up to 45 lbs to perform the physical tasks of book transport and delivery.
- Saturday scheduling required – flexible availability a plus
- Ability to understand and follow all library procedures, to respect the confidentiality of library users and records
- Provide Outreach Services and operate Outreach vehicles in all kinds of weather and climatic conditions.
- Compile statistics and prepare basic reports.
Salary: Hourly – $18.15
We appreciate your interest in the South Brunswick Public Library. Currently, we do not have any positions available. As positions begin to open up, we shall post the openings here.
The job applications can are available at the Borrower Services Desk or can be downloaded here.
South Brunswick and the South Brunswick Public Library are Equal Opportunity Employers.