We appreciate your interest in the South Brunswick Public Library. Currently, we have a position that is open for employment.
The job applications can are available at the Borrower Services Desk or can be downloaded here.
Children’s Librarian - Part-Time
Graduate students enrolled in an MLS program (or equivalent) with an interest in Children’s Services will be considered.
The schedule for this position requires availability on one or two weeknights and Saturday or Sunday. Flexibility with evening hours to accommodate desk hours preferred.
Posting Date: 3/11/2019
The South Brunswick Public Library is looking for creative, enthusiastic, self-motivated part-time librarians to join our team. The ideal candidates, under the direction of the Head of Children’s Services, will assist with readers’ advisory and customer service to children and caregivers. The librarians may be in charge of planning and presenting story time or weekend children’s events. In addition, these individuals will be required to perform a variety of professional duties at the Children’s Desk including maintaining children’s collection and assisting with additional events for children.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Conduct effective reference interviews to determine customer’s information needs
- Use the library’s automated catalog to perform item searches and place holds for customers.
- Advise and assist library customers in the use of library services and tools.
- Train customers on the library’s electronic resources.
- May plan, design, and implement age-appropriate events for children of all abilities.
- Maintain assigned collection areas.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Positive, pro-active attitude and ability to provide outstanding customer service
- MLIS or equivalent from an ALA accredited institution and NJ Public Library Certification
- General knowledge of children’s literature
- Some experience with children’s library programming preferred
- Ability to develop a good rapport with children and caregivers to identify their needs and interests
- Familiarity with technology and social media and the ability to adapt to changes in technology
- Speak, write and communicate in English effectively
- Knowledge of SIRSI/Workflows a plus
2018 starting salary for Librarian is $28.08/hour
2018 starting salary for Information Assistant is $18.15/hour
The application can be picked up at the Children’s Desk or can be downloaded here.
Please email resume with job application and cover letter to Matt Kirschner, Head of Children’s Services, at .
Open to applications until position is filled.
South Brunswick and the South Brunswick Public Library are Equal Opportunity Employers.