South Brunswick Public Library
Library Assistant/Borrower Services Department/PT
12 hr/week position
The South Brunswick Public Library is seeking a personable, customer-service oriented library assistant to serve its diverse clientele. The ideal candidate should be self-motivated and a team-player.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Checks in/out library materials on automated computer system. Renews materials in person and over the phone.
- Issues library cards to patrons and provides basic information regarding the library’s policies and procedures.
- Clears patrons’ fines/fees and operates cash register.
- Troubleshoots customer problems, referring patrons to supervisor or other departments when necessary.
- Assist with shelving and packaging system holds.
- Assist with the on-shelf holds lists on an as needed basis.
Required Knowledge and Abilities:
- Speak, write and communicate effectively in English.
- Provide friendly, high quality service to library customers.
- Maintain effective working relationship with both the public and colleagues.
- Perform basic math functions, including working with the cash register to give change.
- Learn the library’s automated circulation system, policies, and procedures.
- Bend, reach and lift up to 25 lbs to perform the physical tasks at the Borrower Services Desk, including but not limited to emptying bins, packaging books, handling donations. Must also be able to push a cart full of library material.
- Adapt to changing computer technology.
- Work a flexible schedule. This position will include at least one weekend day (Sunday), Tuesday night, and some day hours.
- High school graduate minimum, college work completed preferred
- Library background or related customer service preferred.
- Basic computer literacy, including email, search engines, basic window functions.
- Strong keyboarding/typing skills.
Please submit job application (available here or at the Borrower Services Desk), resume and cover letter to:
Borrower Services Department
South Brunswick Library
110 Kingston Lane
Monmouth Junction, NJ 08904
Or email to firstname.lastname@example.org with attachment of resume, cover letter and job application.
Starting salary for 2014 is $14.64. 2015 salary pending contract negotiations.
Deadline for submission is Monday, July 6, 2015.
South Brunswick is an Equal Opportunity Employer